Capstone Trimester Introduction – Commencing Tri 2, 2021
The Sheldon LINQ Academy, in collaboration with Griffith University, provides a tertiary partnership model for Griffith preservice teachers undertaking their final trimester of a Bachelor of Education.
Expressions of Interest – Now Open
To find out more about the Sheldon LINQ Capstone Trimester, please fill out the Expression of Interest form and one of our staff members will contact you with further instructions.
About the Program
The Sheldon LINQ Academy, in collaboration with Griffith University, has created a tertiary partnership model for students studying their final trimester of a Bachelor of Education. The Capstone Trimester is a 5-month placement model to advance your classroom readiness skills through hybrid units of theory and practice.
The following courses will be completed by the program participants whilst attending the Sheldon LINQ Academy:
- Assessment in Education (4599EDN)
- The Griffith Graduate Teacher (4699EDN)
- The Griffith Education Internship (4999EDN)
The courses will be delivered by Sheldon College Academic Staff in collaboration with Griffith University, with follow-up classroom demonstration of leading practice, aligned to a series of focus topics, thereby creating real opportunities to integrate theory and practice.
Program Delivery – Tri 2, 2021
During the 5-month program (June – October 2021), students will actively participate in Professional Learning workshops replacing the requirement for Griffith students to attend lectures and tutorials at Griffith University.
These workshops have been mapped against the Griffith University Bachelor of Education final trimester coursework and critical assessment tasks (including the GTPA/Graduate Teacher Performance Assessment task), and the APST (Australian Professional Standards for Teachers) at graduate stage.
Griffith students are expected to be on-site for a 3-day program (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and increase to five days per week during the Term 3 Industry Placement (30 days) and the Term 4 Internship Placement (20 days).
Professional Learning Workshops
The Professional Learning Workshops will be offered in 2-parts.
- Part A will be the delivery of the integrated theory as 1.5-hour seminars.
- Part B will link the same theoretical focus area to practice through a series of guided lesson observations and/or guided teaching experiences offered by the workshop facilitator.
During the 5-month program, students will engage in two Industry placements:
Professional Experience Placement (4699EDN)
- During this period students will undertake their teaching performance assessment. This requires full-time attendance at Sheldon College for 6 weeks.
- During this immersion, students are required to teach co-operatively as a member of a teaching team and assume the roles of a beginning teacher for up to 50% of a teacher load.
Griffith students will be placed with a suitable professional academic staff member who is willing to share their experiences as a teacher and a member of the wider education community for the duration of the placement.
Our mentoring teachers are responsible for monitoring progress, providing feedback and supporting the Griffith students during their 5-month placement across all pillars of the program.
All our on-site mentors have been credentialled with a Certificate of Attainment – QUTeX Mentoring Beginning Teachers.
To apply for the Capstone Trimester, please complete the following steps:
- Register your Expression of Interest.
- Respond to the welcome email and submit your requested documentation.
- Accept the invitation to attend the on-site induction. This induction will allow you to tour Sheldon College, meet and greet our academic staff and learn more about the program.
- Complete the final application process which includes a short interview with Dr Lyn Bishop (Sheldon College), Dr Mia O’Brien (Griffith University) and Mrs Vanessa Noonan (Dean LINQ Academy).
- Accept your position.
About Sheldon College
Sheldon College is an independent, co-educational, non-denominational College located in Brisbane’s Bayside providing a first class curriculum in the academic, sporting and cultural arenas.
The primary focus is on educating the whole child and understanding that our children must be adequately prepared to not only live in, but also contribute to, an inter-connected global community. Students must learn the essential skills for success in today’s world, such as creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, communication, social skills, emotional intelligence and collaboration.
Sheldon College has a proven record in delivering these outcomes to its students and it strives to ensure that students make a real contribution to their world.